1. 09:00 - 10:00 What's Up At Work
  2. 10:00 - 13:00 Ryan O'Connor

Director of engineering at Beaufort West Municipality, Norwood Kotze says the Gamka Dam, which is the main source of drinking water for Beaufort West has completely run dry.

He says the town currently gets about 80% of its water from boreholes and the remaining 20% from recycling effluent water.

We've got a reclamation plant that is recycling effluent water and about 20% of our water is coming from that.

Norwood Kotze, Director of engineering at Beaufort West Municipality

The water is blended with our borehole water after being cleaned and it is provided in our systems.

Norwood Kotze, Director of engineering at Beaufort West Municipality

It is completely stripped of everything, it is purest water you can get.

Norwood Kotze, Director of engineering at Beaufort West Municipality

According to Kotze, it is not clear how long the borehole will be able to provide water to the town. He estimates that they could be dry in the next month or two.

He says if the boreholes are dry there will be no effluent water to clean which is very concerning.

The last time Beaufort West received sufficient rains was in 2014.

To hear more on the situation in Beaufort West, listen below:

This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Beaufort West is relying solely on boreholes and effluent water

More on KFM