1. 13:00 - 16:00 Sechaba G
  2. 16:00 - 19:00 Drive with Carl Wastie

PRETORIA - Judge President Dunstan Mlambo has on Wednesday ordered President Jacob Zuma to personally pay the costs of his failed attempt to stop the release of State of Capture report.

Zuma launched the application on the eve of the release of the report last year on grounds that he wasn’t given an opportunity to respond to the allegations levelled against him.

When the application was ready to be heard, Zuma withdrew it.

Opposition parties had applied to Pretoria High Court that Zuma pay personal costs for his first abandoned attempt to stop the release of the report.

Mlambo said the president's conduct amounts to an attempt to stymie the work of the Public Protector.

“In the final analysis, the president’s overall conduct leaves one with no option to find that he must be held personally liable for all the costs that were occasioned from 14 October 2016 when it was stated that the previous Public Protector had finalised the investigation and signed the report.”

Mlambo said: “It was unreasonable for the president to continue with his stance that the report was not final, and unreasonable not to seek clarification from the Public Protector.”

He says Zuma acted in flagrant disregard for the duties of the Public Protector.

Mlambo asked: “All parties except the President accepted that the report was final. Why did his legal team not pen the letter to the PP seeking clarification?”

Later on Wednesday afternoon the court is expected to rule on whether Zuma is legally compelled by the Chapter 9 office to set up an official inquiry into state capture.

WATCH: Judgement on state capture review application

This article first appeared on EWN : Zuma must pay costs for bid to halt state capture report

Recommended

by THE NEWSROOM

More on KFM