It's a well known fact that animals have incredibly sensitive hearing and are thus susceptible loud noises, loud bangs and piercing sounds produced by fireworks.
Being Guy Fawkes, fireworks are a cause of panic for many pets and Carl Wastie spoke to Tara McGovern, Spokesperson for the SPCA on how to keep your pets safe during Guy Fawkes.
These are the designated venues where you’ll be allowed to discharge fireworks as per City of Cape Town regulations:
• Athlone Stadium parking area (eastern side), Klipfontein Road, Athlone
• Wesfleur sports field, Reygersdal Drive, Atlantis
• Bishop Lavis sports field, Lavis Drive, Bishop Lavis
• Metropolitan sports grounds, Melkhout Street, Bonteheuwel
• Blue Downs sports field
• Delft Central sports grounds, Main Road, Delft
• Macassar Beach parking area, Macassar Road
• Swartklip sports complex, Swartklip Road, Mitchells Plain
• Sarepta sports complex
• Strandfontein Pavilion
• Tourism Centre, Athens Road, Table View beachfront
The above-mentioned designated areas will be patrolled by City Law Enforcement and Metro Police Officials.
The discharge of fireworks will not be allowed after 23:00 on Guy Fawkes with New Year’s being one of the few exceptions.
For more information, contact the SPCA on 021 700 4158 or on 083 326 1604, after hours.