In the age of the conscious-eating movement, consumers are demanding a shift toward real food, natural ingredients and transparent food labelling.
Consumers are becoming far more aware of the ingredients and processing of the foods they purchase, looking for more natural choices and ingredients that they recognise.
Embarking on a journey towards natural choices, the expert spice blenders at Robertsons have created a range of delicious spice blends to establish clean label credentials – free from GMOs, without MSG and, harmful radiation.
So, what does clean label credentials mean for you?
GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism, and refers to plants, animals or other organisms whose genetic material has been changed in ways that do not occur naturally. Robertsons prides itself on maintaining nature's gifts in their original form, making their herbs and spices pure and, free from ingredients of genetically modified origin.
2. No added MSG
MSG stands for – Monosodium Glutamate, which is an additive used as a flavour enhancer. Glutamate is a naturally occurring non-essential amino acid that is mimicked in some products by using added MSG. Robertson's spice products have naturally occurring glutamic acid and, do not contain any added MSG, making them chock-full of natural flavour.
Food safety is a top priority for the master spice blenders at Robertsons which is why they ensure that the herbs and spices used undergo a form of treatment. Robertsons herbs and spices are non-irradiated, which means that their products are not sterilised through radiation. Instead, the spice brand uses a natural steam sterilisation process to clean the herbs and spices, ensuring freshness and hygiene without compromising on the taste and health benefits of the herbs and spices.
The Spice People at Robertsons have travelled to the ends of the earth to source the very best herbs and spices, and expertly blended them so you don't have to. Try your hand at this delicious recipe, using Robertsons herbs and spices.
Louisiana cajun mayo with low carb smoked snoek fish cakes
Prep 15 Mins I Cook 15 Mins I Serves 8 people
· 200g Smoked Snoek, bones removed and flaked
· 15ml chopped fresh chives
· 15ml mayonnaise
· 5ml Robertsons parsley
· 2.5ml Robertsons Garlic salt
· zest of half a lemon
· good squeeze of lemon juice
· freshly ground black pepper to taste
· 1 egg
· ¼ cup coconut flour plus extra for coating
· Oil for Shallow Frying
Lousiana Cajun Mayo:
· ¼ cup mayonnaise
· 20g gerkins, chopped
· handful of fresh parsley, chopped
· 5ml Robertsons Louisiana Cajun spice mix (more to taste)
· squeeze of lemon juice
· zest of half a lemon
1. Mix the all the ingredients for the Louisana Cajun Mayo and set aside
2. Place the snoek, herbs, garlic salt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, zest and ground black pepper in a food processor until pulse until just combined (do not overmix to a pulp)
3. Add the egg and coconut flour and pulse again until just combined
4. Divide the mixture into 6 - 8 portions and shape into fishcakes
5. Dust each fishcake with the extra coconut flour
6. Heat the oil in a non stick pan and fry the fishcakes over a medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through
7. Serve with the mayo and a side salad
“Nature knows best, and we bottle it,” is a true reflection of how Robertsons herbs and spices are made. Visit robertsons.co.za for more information.